this site the web

Toughness Personified

I was secretary of a racing club, and our facilities were suited to many different events. It was suggested that we run a rodeo to raise much needed funds. That is how this all started. An annual rodeo at a nearby town was a success story from day one, so my committee thought it could be just as successful at our venue. So my education began.
Nothing unusual to be left with the bulk of the organising, I expected that, but I soon found out that their was a lot of things to learn to make it a top show. February was the month selected, and on the three rodeos I promoted, the usual hot weather prevailed. Although conducted under lights, the days were near 100 degrees, so nurturing the horses, bulls and steers was an important issue.
We attracted big entries, and the cowboys and cowgirls came from all over Australia to compete. We had a top class selection of competitors, and the stock held their end up admirably. The crowds were big, this sport has a large following, and the action packed show had everyone on the edge of their seats.






There is nothing quite like a novice bull ride to start proceedings, and the very first rider was thrown up into darkness and landed with a thump. The bull was not content with tossing his rider, he wanted a piece of the action when the rider arrived back on the ground. What a way to start a show, the crowd loved it. I must admit to being very apprehensive and on edge, for the remainder of the night.
All things considered, it was a fast moving, action packed show, especially when the old hands took their turns. There is no denying that these folk earn their money the hard way, the risks are big, but they love every bit of it. The better ones earn big money, but traveling all over the country makes a big dent in their wallets.
With rodeos comes scrutiny from anti rodeo organizations, and every year I fear the circuit will eventually come to a stop. These groups have a lot of political clout, they attract a lot of media attention and fatalities to both riders and animals may one day force this popular sport out of existence. I hope I am proved wrong. But having seen what the idealists did to the sheep industry, in banning blowfly protection methods, there is no telling to what lengths they will go to to get their own way. I live in hope.
Another eye opener for me was in the form of crowd behavior. Racing had few problems in this department, but rodeos on hot days and nights attract alcohol fueled groups who for some stupid reason, like to engage the cowboys in fight. Let me say this, anyone who wants to take on these circuit riders are nothing short of idiotic. I saw dozens of fights, I think the cowboys won by a mile.
The upside of running three rodeos included making good profits, gaining a good standing for our facilities, and providing the circuit with extra opportunities. The downside was a horrible mess to clean up, repairs and maintenance to the public facilities, and restoring the grounds to normality. My nervous system was always in need of repair, long days, long nights and never knowing what was about to happen next was hard to wear. But I admired the contestants for their skill and love of the sport. Would you believe it, I may put my hand up again, the buzz was unbelievable?As I sign off, to all you scrappers out there, my advice is to steer clear of steer riders, you are going to come off second best.
Promoters have a duty to care for the animals and not to give the anti group ammunition to fuel their incessant efforts to ban this skilful, highly exciting entertainment. Long live rodeos.






Bill Adams is best described as a 73 year old Aussie retiree with a banking,horse racing administration and real estate sales background.He enjoys playing golf and bowls and loves the AFL.He runs his own internet marketing business from home,and wants everyone looking to earn extra income to know all about it.Full details are on http://www.MavericksHomeMadeMoney.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

**********************

Usage Policies